Home 9 Blog 9 What’s the Difference Between a Class A and a Class B Commercial Driver’s License?

In order the drive for Dot Transportation, Inc. (DTI), our drivers have to obtain their Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL). But, we often get questions like “What is the difference between a Class A and a Class B CDL?” or “What types of vehicles can I drive with my Class A license?” We’re here to break it all down.

Commercial driver’s licenses have been a requirement for drivers driving a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) since April 1, 1992. Today, any larger truck or bus that you see on the road is being driven by a driver who holds a CDL. 

So you want to drive a commercial vehicle. What license class do you need to obtain?

Class A CDL

Typically, a Class A CDL holder works as a heavy truck or semi truck driver driving over the road (OTR) or regionally. If you hold a Class A CDL, you are authorized to drive:

  • Tractor trailers
  • Truck & trailer combinations
  • Double and triple trailers
  • Tractor trailer buses
  • Tanker vehicles
  • Livestock carriers
  • Flatbeds

You are also authorized to operate any vehicle that falls under the Class B CDL. This provides drivers with the opportunity to drive a wider variety of commercial vehicles and have more career paths to choose from.

Class B CDL

If you’re looking for a job that is more local or are planning on driving a commercial vehicle for a short period of time, a Class B CDL may be the best choice for you. As a Class B CDL holder, you would be authorized to drive:

  • Straight trucks
  • Box trucks, such as a delivery truck
  • Large passenger buses
  • Dump trucks with small trailers

What License Type Do I Need to Drive for Dot Transportation?

In order to drive for DTI, you will need to have a Class A CDL, as well as your Tanker and Haz-Mat endorsements.

Don’t have your Class A CDL?

No worries! You have a few different options if you want to drive for DTI but need to obtain your Class A CDL first.

  1. Apply to the Dot Foods warehouse with the intention of entering our Warehouse to Driver Program
  2. Attend a local DTI-affiliated truck driving school, obtain your CDL, and qualify for DTI’s tuition reimbursement program
  3. If you are in the Williamsport, Maryland, area, check out our NEW in-house driving school

Don’t have your Class A CDL?

No need to worry about that either! If you want to drive for DTI, apply today and we’ll help you obtain the necessary endorsements during our best-in-class, paid training and orientation program.

Drive for Dot Transportation

Find a Class A CDL Regional Driving Job Near You